Tuesday, September 18, 2007

No, you can't just not show up for your shift

The hardest thing about being a manager is well, managing. Saturday night I was at my friends wedding, when my phone began to ring and ring and ring. It was a team member calling to tell me that they just didn't want to come to work tomorrow. Unfortunately each person works their shift alone, so if they don't go to work, I go to work for them. After I was very clear that he needed to show up unless he found someone to work his shift, he agreed to be present at 7 am.

Fast forward to today. I held a front desk meeting and explained the policy once again regarding attendance. I was pleased with the meeting and felt that everyone was on the same page.

Not so much, 20 minutes later I had someone come and let me know they couldn't work their Sunday shift. So now I am going to have to scramble to find a replacement or I will be stuck working another 7 day work week. ugh.

1 comment:

noisy penguin said...

I don't think I could handle your job without becoming a heavy drinker.